SmithGroupJJR is an international idea-oriented design firm that is committed to creating inspiring places that enrich the human spirit. We believe extraordinary environments are created when the design process is based on the principles of exploration, experimentation, innovation, sustainability, research, and collaboration. Our expertise in providing thoughtful and innovative solutions keeps SmithGroupJJR at the forefront of architectural, engineering and planning firms around the world. According to the 2016 Building Design + Construction magazine “Giants” ranking, SmithGroupJJR is the 6th largest architecture/engineering firm in the U.S.
SmithGroupJJR is currently looking for a Senior Laboratory Planner to join our corporate Science and Technology team. This position will be the lead planner and direct a team of architects working on a variety of different Science and Technology projects.
Working with us, you will:
- Direct/ Document user requirements (program document);
- Lead the documentation of laboratory systems such as casework, lab equipment, etc.;
- Consult with and support SGJJR Laboratory Planning for assurance of technical criteria, brainstorming future trends and participating in the national practice;
- Lead the definition, analysis, programming and planning efforts for Science & Technology projects and work with the project team in the development of those projects;
- Program and plan lab and high-tech facilities by meeting with clients/users to develop or validate program requirements
- Collaborate with the project designers in planning the facility by developing planning grids, lab organization, services distribution concepts, etc.;
- Report to Science & Technology Studio Leader for day-to-day project criteria such as schedules, deliverables, and project staffing;
- Lead the project team in the early stages of the project by acquiring and documenting project requirements, and communicating / interfacing with other team members;
- Interface and lead the project team in executing user requirements;
- Mentor and coordinate the lab planning work of junior/intermediate lab planners;
- Participate in marketing activities by attending potential client visits, documenting project requirements and assisting in proposal preparations;
- Participate in Marketing presentations;
- Participate in trade presentations such as Labs21 and Tradelines;
- Author Lab Journal articles
An ideal candidate has:
- 12-15+ years’ experience in programming and/or planning of laboratory and high-technology facilities (or equivalent combination of education and experience).
- Professional degree in Architecture (Masters preferred).
- Registration as a licensed architect preferred.
- The ability to maintain a lead role in client relationships, planning and team leadership.
- Demonstrated effectiveness working in a team setting, with a history of customer satisfaction.
- Well organized and self-motivated with good client presentation skills;
- Must possess good writing and verbal skills;
- Working knowledge of Revit desired;
- Must be experienced with academic, research and vivarium facilities for College & Universities, Government and Corporate Clients;
- Excellent communication skills.
SmithGroupJJR offers competitive compensation and an excellent benefit package, including 401(k) and continuing educational reimbursement. We offer 3 weeks of paid time off within the first year of employment, with the option of purchasing additional time off, and pay for 8 federal holidays. We also offer an alternative work schedule that provides employees with an additional 15 days off per year (usually Fridays) to help with work/life balance.
Interested in joining us? Get started today by clicking the link below or by contacting us at: