Perkins+Will is seeking an Interior Designer II to join our Durham Office. Perkins+Will is an interdisciplinary, research-based architecture and design firm established in 1935. Founded on the belief that design has the power to transform lives and enhance communities, we collaborate with clients all over the world to create healthy, sustainable places in which to live, learn, work, play, and heal. More than 2,000 professionals across over 20 Perkins+Will offices include some of the brightest minds in architecture, interior design, branded environments, urban design, and landscape architecture. Clients consistently turn to us for our leadership and expertise in areas like sustainability, resilience, health and wellness, and mobility. Additionally, our 10 Research Labs catalyze innovative design technologies and solutions that result in better, smarter, more competitive built environments. The recipient of hundreds of design awards each year, and a progressive leader in corporate social responsibility, Perkins+Will is consistently ranked among the world’s top design firms. Our family of partner companies includes retail strategy and design consultancy Portland; sustainable transportation planning consultancy Nelson\Nygaard; healthcare technology planning firm Genesis Planning; and luxury hospitality design firm Pierre-Yves Rochon (PYR).
Performs specific assignments, exercising judgment in evaluation, selection, adaptation, modification and application of interior design principles and applications, under general direction including programming and space planning analysis, schematic design, design development, engineering systems coordination, cost analysis, code research, design development, construction documents, specifications and materials research, document checking, including preparation of presentation materials, model building and construction administration.
Essential Job Functions
• Prepares design plans, elevations and details, reflected ceiling plans, millwork design,
furniture layouts, finish plans, color plans and schedules.
• Demonstrates understanding of the architectural design process and integration of interior design concepts.
• Manipulates basic design elements such as proportion, color, light, texture & scale.
• Provides color/finish/material research and selection.
• Prepares presentation materials and models for client presentations.
• Adheres to firm and project goals of excellence in design, execution, and sustainability.
• Provides programming and space planning analysis and area calculations.
• Prepares contract documents, including design plans, elevations and details, furniture layouts, ergonomic dimensions, finish plans, color plans, finish schedules and ceiling plans.
• Participates in site analysis, including survey of existing conditions and field measurements.
• Researches manufacturers for furniture system and finish materials, providing budget cost for selections.
• Participates in field observations to monitor construction process.
• Performs tasks according to Perkins+Will Project Delivery Manual.
• Organizes and plans accordingly to execute tasks.
• Checks own work for accuracy, omissions and legibility.
• May coordinate consultants and vendors assignments.
Essential Job Requirements:
EDUCATION Professional Degree in Interior Design or related discipline
EXPERIENCE 3-6 years
Experience in application of interior design principles and theory Fundamental experience in programming, planning principles, materials and furnishings
Effective CAD, Revit, 3D computer modeling and graphic design Effective verbal and written communication skills Collaborative and professional work ethic
LEED AP or within 6 months of hire Preparing for NCIDQ exam
Qualified applicants must apply at perkinswill.com/careers. A resume and a work sample is required.