Little is looking for a Director of the Center for Building Performance. The Center began three years ago with the purpose of finding the unique combination of design elements that leads to the optimization of the building – taking into account occupant wellbeing and full lifecycle costs (first costs, operation and maintenance costs, and energy costs) – and numerically validating the optimized design.
The Center has made a strong positive impact for our clients and now the goal is to grow it into its own Studio at Little. The Director must collaborate with our architects and engineers to generate and discuss options for building systems (including envelope materials) at the earliest stages and throughout the design of a project.
The successful candidate for this position will be able to work in one of the following offices: Durham, DC; Newport Beach, CA; or Charlotte, NC office.
Our project types include: education, civic/government, financial services, automotive retail, headquarters/base building, interior renovation, high tech/R&D, mission critical/data centers, and healthcare.
To be considered, you:
- Are curious and creative, have a passion for problem-solving and critical thinking, and able to collaborate in a team setting
- Have the ability to synthesize energy modeling output and then create graphical information for the understanding of non-technical clients
- Were researching building materials and systems before this position even existed because you were convinced this was the way to design a building
- Read High Performance Building and Architect magazines as you straddle living in these two worlds
- Attend ASHRAE and AIA meetings because you need to stay connected to both sides of the building world
Technically, you have the following:
- Knowledge of building systems and envelope materials to be modeled
- Knowledge of IES VE
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Licensed architect or engineer
- Experience in the optimization process including:
- Site and Climate Analysis
- Determining regional benchmarks
- Establishing the project goals such as daylighting, energy usage, renewables, water efficiency, and occupant comfort
- Performance modeling and life cycle cost analysis all done in real time as the project progresses
- Conduct measurement and verification
- Experience with winning work through attending project interviews
Additionally, it would be a plus to have the following qualifications:
- Knowledge of the Well Building standards
- Experience with the Living Building Challenge
- Published author in national journals
- Presenter at conferences
- Have completed projects pursuing Zero Net Energy
A bit more about Little:
We are a dynamic, growing, international multi-disciplinary design firm, dedicated to the belief that the best design solutions come from the creative collaboration of people from all fields of design. Our Vision is to become known for and sought after for breakthrough ideas that improve the performance of our clients and create a better future for people.
Little is made up of Architects, Mechanical, Electrical and Structural Engineers, Land Planners, Landscape Architects & Civil Engineers, Interior Designers, Graphic Designers, CAFM & Strategic Planners and Digital Imaging and Animation specialists. We have offices in Charlotte NC, Newport Beach CA, Durham NC, Orlando FL, Washington DC and Beijing China.
Our culture is energetic, collaborative and open. We value people who are fun to work with and who have a positive impact on those around them. We offer outstanding benefits, compensation, and growth opportunities. To be considered for this opportunity, submit a cover letter and resume, and if you would like, examples of your professional design work including publications and presentations (one document, maximum 10 MB or in zip file) to https://workforcenow.adp.com/jobs/apply/posting.html?client=littleda&jobId=54631&lang=en_US&source=CC2.
Little is an Equal Opportunity Employer by choice.